Live Chat

Tuesday 31 May 2011

Behind the Veil

I really wanted to go to the Grand Mosque in Kuwait and was told I had to cover up in order to gain entry. I wondered to what extent? And was told that I would need to wear the hijab to go incognito. Perfect.

I’ve always wanted to know what it was like to get behind the veil. Long story short. I had a pretty nasty experience in Morocco, and as a consequence, all I wanted to do was cover up and go into hiding. But that was so long ago and now, I just wanted to know what it was like.

One thing I picked up in Kuwait is that nurses wear a white version of a hijab/burka to signify that they are nurses. I was like no way! You don't say... And took me 3 visits to the hospital to realise this too. Thanks Hanna for getting me there too btw! 

For Hanna, this was also her first time covering up and I most certainly had to compensate for her lack of interest. I suspect she was daunted by the task ahead while I was jumping up and down with excitement. Literally. I wondered how I would look, how it would feel and if would I be treated differently? Kind of like if I wore a fat suit.

We managed to borrow some head scarfs and the gown from Hanna's relatives and we drove to the Grand Mosque. We had somewhere to be, prior to and Hanna didn’t want to spend the whole day in the robes and we couldn’t sacrilegiously replicate a Muslim in front of the mosque. So we decided to find somewhere en route to get changed. The water park. YAY!

I have to admit, putting the robes on was one of the funniest things I have ever done in my life. Hanna was getting her kicks too. Not that wearing a hijab was funny. I just wasn’t used to seeing myself like that before and I deceptively looked like a sweet little Muslim girl. So did Hanna. MUAH hahaha. And it was sooooo comfortable!! I could have worn it everyday. Definitely not too hot either and ideal for maternity wear.

What was even funnier is that it actually had the reverse affect on men than I initially had anticipated. I received much more attention. Wallah, just what I needed. I wore my sunnies so you couldn’t see my face and I attracted even more peering eyes. Urrghhh WTF? And apparently if I wore the burka and only revealed my eyes, the men would have been even more interested. 

I later discovered The reason why men are more attracted to women with the viels is because men are more curious to find out who is behind the veil. That is so kinky. I even showed photos of us to Hanna’s auntie of our dress up and she said how beautiful we looked. I suspect this is also how the men feel too. Testament that beauty is a matter of perception.

If you ever come to Kuwait, come and see the Grand Mosque. The structure itself was simply breathtaking. And while you’re at it, get behind the veil. It was definitely a highlight of my visit here.

Welcome to the Grand Mosque, through and behind my veil.






            

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a story! I imagine how much fun this experience was. I am a man but if I ever go to Kuwait will definitely wear the hijab just for fun!
I love you blog, more stories please!

confessionsofaserialtraveller said...

Why hello mystery man :) I love a man of intrigue!

You should definitely try it and see what it is like. Try not to get caught though, they may not look too friendly upon it.

But word has it there is a massive underground gay scene caused by the separation of the sexes. So you can definitely get away with it ;)

With comments like that, I will continue to write and write for you! x

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...