Live Chat

Sunday 24 July 2011

Platform 9 3/4. Hogwarts Express. All Aboard!!

I am a die hard Harry Potter fan this is true. I wasn't  at first, truth be told. I despised the mass following and hysteria it cultivated. I simply didn't want to be apart of it. I wanted to be separated from the hype. Until one day, a girl from high school, had a copy of the Harry Potter book and I decided to ask her,  rather flippantly, " Is it really as good as they say?". What was supposed to be a one worded answer, essentially ensued into a monologue of how I should read it, how addictive it was, how it is one of the best novels ever written, how I was missing out and how she would bring me a copy. She said "Just read the first book and if you don't like it, then you have made a fair assessment and you can be done with it". She made a fair point and was convincing enough that I decided to read it.

I read it and completed it the day she gave it to me. I could not put it down. I was in love. I continued like this with the following books. From memory, I think I polished off the first four books in less than a month, leaving me eagerly and desperately awaiting for the next one.

And I remember the day I saw someone post on their Facebook profile, evidence of themselves standing in front of Platform 9 3/4 at King's Cross Station. I was absolutely guttered. Why couldn't that have been me? I actually felt this surge of jealously. Then I hated them. So much so, it became quickly added to my bucket list Lol.

So when I was in London I didn't waste a moment getting there. I went to King's Cross station and asked while I was purchasing my ticket to Cambridge, eyes filled with excitement, "How do I find Platform 9 3/4?" Wow I felt like I was really going to Hogwarts. The lady behind the counter  cheerfully gave me directions there. Now, I could tell you how and where to find it because it isn't where you think it should be, but that is half the fun! Besides you have to work for it, just like Harry!!

I found my way there, my heart was filled with absolute joy. I unashamedly harassed some random to take my picture again and again, while wishing that I had my battle scar and Gryffindor robes in tow. (Even though I was supposed to be blending in with these Muggles). This, right here, was sincerely one of the happiest moments of my life. So sad but it is true! How can three quarters of a platform, half a trolley and a sign bring me so much joy?  I even walked away from the platform smiling, even at all these random nobody's. I couldn't contain myself, I was so thrilled.

If you're also a die hard fan, make sure you pay an honorary visit to King's Cross Station and break out the camera shots. Just don't forget your Nimbus 2000, elder wand, quill, owl, magical school books, Marauders Map and floo Powder. Oh and your Hogwarts admission letter. You can't forget that!

And if you are feeling particularly sad that it is all over with the final movie release of the Deathly Hallows Part 2, just as I am. Never fear because, "the stories we love best, do live in us forever. Whether you come back by page or by the big screen. Hogwarts will be always there to welcome you home". J.K. Rowling. 

Welcome to Platform 9 3/4.



Me feeling pretty happy with myself 









3 comments:

Agirlhastoeat said...

Great pic of your face!! LOL. And how great was your trip to London?
x

Emma said...

LOVE IT!

confessionsofaserialtraveller said...

Trip was wonderful Agirlhastoeat. Glad you like my smiley face xx

Thanks Em!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...