Live Chat

Sunday 1 May 2011

Welcome to Kuwait

I know what you're thinking. Why Kuwait?

I have my reasons. My best friend lives in Kuwait for the time being and the unique opportunity presented itself to see Kuwait through a local's eyes. She is half Kuwaiti. So how could I say no. It was too good to pass up.

I must admit, prior to coming here I had my preconceived notions about the place. Is it a bomb? Is it the pits? And to be fair, the only reason I thought these things is because everyone in Dubai said it was a hole with no alcohol. Yes it is illegal.

But I thought how bad could it be? One of my best friends has been living here for two years. But then again, she really does hate the country. And yes she told me this after I bought my ticket to Kuwait, the clever thing.

Within the first five minutes of being here, Hanna and I are driving out of the airport. Some random guy in another car makes eyes at me, and he makes a distinctive eyebrow lift which is accompanied with a cheeky smile.

Confused, I ask Hanna.

"Some guy did a funny eye thing at me. Why did he do that for?"
"Like how?" So I made eyes at her, did the whole she-bang, just as he did to me.
 She laughed and said.
"He wants your number, just look straight ahead and avoid eye contact or he might follow us".

And it wasn't too long after that Hanna had to slam the brakes to avoid a collision in the middle of an intersection. There were a couple of guys doing donuts in the middle of it. The car had no wheels and sparks were flying left, right and centre. They were going round and round in circles blasting their music over the deafening screeches of their so-called wheels. Traffic was everywhere.

It's only been my first hour here. Kuwait is nucking futs and already, I'm in love.

Welcome to Kuwait.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey! I remembered your blog food-gasm girl!

I have just arrived home from Poland. Write me (r.maresco@gmail.com) if you finally go to Barcelona and maybe we can have some other drinks together.

Enjoy your trip and have many food-gasms!

Mary said...

Ive heard awesome things about Kuwait!! Have to get there when I hit the Mid-East next!! My dad worked there in the 60's and has very fond memories of it :):) Germany next??!! Please check out Berlin for me.. according to my research, the city ROCKS!!!

confessionsofaserialtraveller said...

Que pasa!

Thanks for finding me R! Yeah for sure when I go to Barcelona will definitely email you. I decided not to go this weekend but at a later stage. Take care and it was lovely meeting you.

Mary gotta hit Kuwait up and do love street. It is such an experience! I thought Kuwait was amazing, you will love it. Do you have friends to show you around?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...