Live Chat

Monday 16 May 2011

How to pick up: Love Street

So I know I said that boys and girls are not meant to co-mingle in Kuwait. But I also said that I found a very interesting loophole. Did I not?

Unearthing of the surreptitiously underground Love Street went down a little something like this...

Me: "So you can't talk to boys and alcohol is illegal. What on earth do you do to have fun?" Because we all know that the only two things in life that are fun are boys and alcohol.
Hanna: "You go to Love Street".
Me: "Ok which is...."
Hanna: "Where people go to meet people and pick up".
Me: "OMG we have to go!"

So I have never experienced it before and if you are not Kuwaiti you are likely not to have either. Even at this point, I am already being pre-warned from Hanna that it is quite the experience. Her brother on the other hand just said it was disgusting, and with gusto too. Ok, so now I definitely need to go.

I had never done this before so there was a lot of subtleties that I had to pick up and I have to admit, I was kind of nervous.

1. Your car must be clean, otherwise you will not pick up. Hanna's car was covered in dust from the dust storm and we were advised we wouldn't get picked up. Your car is your outfit and it must look presentable.

2. The type of car you drive is directly proportional to the standard/quality of person you will pick up. Works more favourably for a male if he has a good set of wheels, while this potentially has an inverse effect on the ladies, you may be perceived as being high-maintenance. Better than a bad outfit, if you ask me. And yes complete bullshit I know, but hey, I only report on this stuff.

3. You must pump your music when you drive down Love Street. This is your mating call, so the louder the music the greater the call. Like DOOF DOOF loud... you feel me? But you should turn it right down when you have come to a stop in traffic or if you turn into a neighbourhood street. You don't want to look like a complete slut, now do you?

4. When a guy makes eyes at you and you are interested. The way to show a guy you are interested too is to overtly smile back at him. And I really mean you have got to throw yourself out there. Something I am not quite capable of. I know I am totally sweet an innocent therefore, I failed appallingly. The girls forced me to do things I never did before (as in flirt) and it took me 5 times to get it right. But even though I was red with embarrassment, I soldiered on like a trooper and I got there in the end. Oh god, who am I?

5. If a guy asks you to wind down the window whilst in traffic. Get rid of him. He isn't a keeper nor after anything serious. He just wants your number and to move on to the next. A real gentlemen would signal that he would like to go somewhere private to talk further and then follow you into a back street away from judgemental peering eyes. Remember, all this and much more must be done in stealth.

6. If you think his car is lame and that the guy is even lamer. Give him the filthiest look possible. Do the squint, look him in the eye, work your way down and back up again and look away. This means = eff off.

7. Alternatively, and sometimes you are forced down this road, (Hahaha get it? road.) because the guy just won't get the hint. You can loose him by out running him. Or if you see a guy trying to catch up with you and you know you are already not interested. Wait until he drives up next to you and hit the brakes and adios. He'll get the hint.

Of course we found ourselves one lucky man. Quite the catch. Bentley and all. Take a closer look. Definitely one to take home to mother.



Welcome to Love street. Wallah...

4 comments:

Hanna said...

Babe, I love to read your blog and it is as enjoyable each time! I love how you've managed to capture Love Street, but you forgot to add that I'm not a big fan of it either, haha! xxx

Ps. Can't wait until the next one!

confessionsofaserialtraveller said...

hahaha "COME HERE" remember that?

Well ok then, but you got to admit. You, Shahad and I had the best time that night. I nearly pee'd myself laughing!

LOL

Thanks sweetie I am really glad you enjoy reading it! I always wonder if people like it and it's nice to hear some feedback!

xxx

simpleinsanepunk said...

Feedback: I LOVE it! xx

confessionsofaserialtraveller said...

awww thanks honey! xx

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...