Live Chat

Thursday 5 May 2011

No Boys Allowed

Strictly speaking in Arab countries ladies and gents are not allowed to co-mingle. This is something I have learnt through my travels in Morocco, Dubai and more recently in Kuwait. 

In essence, boy and girls are not allowed to be together, talk to each other, even be seen next to each other. Exceptions to this rule are allowed when a female is accompanied by a male guardian from her family whether that be her father, uncle or brother.
Contraception? Who needs it.

Dream come true or perhaps, a worst nightmare to some? I guess it depends on who you talk to. My father would have relished the thought of me growing up in an environment like this and maybe even myself. Well, only up until the age of 15.
Of course, rules were made to be broken and I discovered how to as well, as always.

Consequent to these standards, there are certain protocols that need to be observed between the sexes. Failing most, I thought I would compile, from a female perspective a "how to guide"on what is appropriate and inappropriate for ladies and gents.

Ladies...

- Don't touch them! Why did I have to grow up to be such a touchy feel-y affectionate person for? I REALLY had to remind myself "Not to touch" the men on the shoulder, or tap them on their arm to get their attention. You're better of saying  "Oi". When meeting and greeting males in Kuwait it is perfectly acceptable to shake hands, which only serves to confuse me more. But I can deal.

- Don't make the same mistake as I did and sit next to men. Don't even stand next to them. This includes at the dinner table, taxis, trains, restaurants. Anytime there is a male present. Steer clear. Yes this includes the lift ladies. I even saw a woman refuse to get into the lift that I was in because a male was there. Which meant, I too was not supposed to be in there with him. Ooops...

- Don't talk to them either. Especially not to someone you don't know in public and particularly not in family friendly places. Shopping for goods seems to be the only time you can speak to them though.

- Slightly irrelevant to the topic at hand but thought it was worth noting, that it is best to avoid direct eye contact with men. It will not matter how you look at them, they will think you are giving them the come hither eyes. Oh and not too much giggling either, they will think you being a hot ass flirt.

Interestingly enough, these protocols were to some extent enforced.

In Dubai, I saw a male in one of the female carriages standing next to his daughter minding his own business. A uniformed Metro lady appeared and asked him to leave and make his way to the male carriage because he wasn't allowed to be standing with women. That's when it hit me I was standing in a female and child only zone. I hadn't even noticed up until that point. However, women do have the option to stand in the male carriages if they choose to.

I was also told that in the water park in Kuwait, visits are rotated based on sex. From women only, women and children only to both men and women. Depending on the day of visit, this will obviously dictate dress codes. Women are free to wear bikinis if there are no men are present otherwise they must cover up.

Welcome to the Middle East and the separation of the sexes. 

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...