Live Chat

Friday 8 July 2011

Fear of flying & Bad Landings

Sounds strange I know but I have this fear of flying. Nothing too serious but it is kind of ridiculous isn't it? I love travelling but I hate flying. I am like God's cruel little joke. I tend to suffer this anxiety right about when the aircraft is taking off, landing, experiencing turbulence and any weird noises the plane makes, which more often than not, is all the time. Funnily enough though, the only thing I do love on board is the food. I love plane food and I mean, I genuinely love it. "Chicken or Beef?" "BEEF!"

Did you know that food heats at a higher temperature when it is at 45,000 ft high. It also doesn't taste the same as it would on ground, so they have to make food more jam packed with flavour in order for you to even taste the stuff at that altitude. I digress.

I experienced the worst landing of my life into London. It almost killed me, well thats what it felt like anyway. Despite the amount of times I have flown, there I was, nervous again. I fly quite a lot too. I mean I fly for work and then I make a commitment to take a trip at least twice a year. You would think I have this firmly under my control. Not even. The other day,  I was even taking deep breaths and to make me feel more at ease, my sister took my hand into hers and held it. And looked at me lovingly with her big brown eyes and said "It's Ok, you will be fine". And to think I used to love flying as a child and the bit I loved most was of course, during take off and landing. Turbulence was even better.

So as we were going in for landing. The plane was significantly wobbling to the left and then to the right and back again. All I could think was, "Are we going to topple over and flip?" For some reason the pilot couldn't line up the aircraft and keep it level for the last 10 minutes of the flight and we were already experiencing turbulence for the last 20 minutes. So I was already in sick mode. When the pilot finally landed, I heard the loudest bang of my life, which was the sound of the tires hitting the runway and because the brakes hit the runway with such intensity. The plane rebounded off the runway and back onto it again. So we technically landed twice. The pilot slammed the brakes and the plane came to a screeching halt. Everyone was thrown forward from their seat, to the point where everyone had to throw their arms forward to protect their face from being smacked by the seat in front of them.

But my sister, takes the cake. She took a flight in South America and when she boarded the plane it was one of those unwanted Russian fighter planes. The interior was simply the shell of the plane with unsecured plastic seats, so you had to essentially play musical chairs to get to your seat. No seat belts either. When the pilot went for gold, the pilot slammed the brakes and the aircraft did a 180 degree turn and spun the plane completely around. The plane was facing the direction it had originally came from. As for everyone, they were everywhere. No one was in their original place from when they had boarded the plane. Better it was you than me sis!

Welcome aboard, to fears, flying and bad landings.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...