Live Chat

Thursday 14 April 2011

The Mecca of Ex-Pats

90% of Dubai's population is made up of ex-patriates. Which I find, is a very fascinating statistic. It is essentially a hot pot of different nationalities and Dubai appears to be a manufactured city designed to cater to their needs. So far, I've managed to meet people from the Philippines, Nepal, India, Bangladesh, Pakistan, Australia, America, Lebanon and the list continues to the point where I can't even be bothered. Heck, even Kiwis are here too.



I even met a real life snake wrangler from Australia in a Salsa club. I didn't believe him at first but through further convincing and he seemed sincere enough, he told me that when commercial property developers begin construction, the land usually contains snakes in them. His job is to be on call, capture them and remove them from the site. Funny.


I was also told that if you manage to land an interview in Dubai from your home country, wherever that may be. Corporations are likely to fly you into Dubai to interview you and if successful, they will pay a decent tax free salary, provide a company paid car and cover your apartment. Hmmmm... Dubai is looking more interesting as a workplace destination already.


This is because they just don't have the talent and Dubai is willing to do what it takes to attract top talent. And I know through a friend, of a friend, of a friend, that going to Dubai is a great way to work your way up the ladder swiftly, earn good money, save it and return home loaded.
But then, I spoke to another fellow ex-pat at the same salsa club and asked.


"So do you enjoy living here?"
"No."
'Then why are you living here?"
"I still have no idea."
"And how long have you been here for?"
"Just four years."


Of course I would find this interesting. I am in HR after all.


Weekends are Friday - Saturday. They used to be Thursday - Friday but since 2006 this was changed to Friday - Saturday to compromise between the holiness of the Muslims' Friday and the Western weekend of Saturday-Sunday. The western weekend was taken into account to minimise the loss on international business they were experiencing.


Obviously this affects happy hour, site seeing and how you should be planning your visit.


Welcome to Dubai, the Mecca of ex-pats.


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...